Reconstruction

Well I have been recruited to remake my friend Adam’s hat. I was just going to whip out a quick hat in similar colors for his birthday this week, but after discussing my idea with his girlfriend I have decided to reconstruct the hat.
Last night I started by making a gauge swatch, and then a gauge swatch with the pattern. I thought I had it all under control, so I forged ahead and cast on my stitches. By the middle of the pattern I realized that two of my designs were not spaced evenly and overlapped each other by two stitches. Well, I could not have that. So I ripped it all apart. The first picture is how far I was before I ripped it out. Also, with this hat is a picture of my friends and the original hat.
Anyways, during my lunch yesterday I redesigned the pattern so all the designs would be spaced evenly around the ban of the hat. After I got home I re-cast on and knitting away. I completed the pattern which is as far as I wanted to get last night. My butt just starts to hurt way too much after sitting so long. I even stood and knitting for a little while. I may try that technique again tonight.
I also have decided that enough is enough and I have to start using bobbins or at least smaller skeins. My skeins twist together when I am doing intarsia, so annoying. I also hate ripping out intarsia. I am just not careful enough. So when I begin to rip/frog I allow my yarn to knot together. When will I learn?

Picture two is how far I am on the second try. Sorry the picture is so terrible. I really need a different camera. I am having some trouble with the bottom edge curling. While I know this will go away after I block it, I am thinking I will put a liner in it anyways so it will be warm enough for our Minnesota winters. So far it has been a fun pattern to make and I will write up the pattern when I am done.
I can’t believe after not having a winter hat for myself that I am know making one for someone else. I really need to make myself a hat, but I am sure I will not remember until next winter. Oh yeah, so I am going to do something really nerdy. I think I may enter one of my knits for competition in the State Fair. The guild lines come out in
Mid-April, so I will decide then.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home