Friday, January 20, 2006

Mitten Mitten


So I am making the last mitten in the second set of mittens and ran into a few hitches. Not to mention the unseasonably warm winter we have had. I still think there will be a great need for my warm felted mittens. Especially for my friend, she is a full-time bike messenger in Philly. Burr!

Well the second pair is really where the mess began. The first mitten went by smoothly, no problem. I think I finished it during two evenings and I even included a cute stripe around the top. I just hope the two colors felt the same. Even though it is the same type of yarn, my fav Nature Spun, I have noticed in the past that each color felts differently. Maybe, I need to find a new favorite yarn. Come to think of it I made a pair of felted stripped gloves that are very lumpy. They look more like a monsters hands, I never completed the other one.

Despite all my ramblings about the yarn, it seems I am more of the problem than the yarn. I really find this to be a bigger problem than I like to admit. So I completed the cuff of the second mitten and figured after the success of my magic loop sock, that I would put my mitten on to a circular as well. Good idea in principal, but it didn’t go a smoothly as I hoped.

First, my LYS only had a metal circular needle. I just have to say I really prefer wood. The stitches just don’t slip off as readily. This is very helpful to me, because I lost a few stitches due to this metal needle. Also, I am lazy and did not put stoppers on the end of my needles. So every time I pulled my knitting out of the bag a few stitches fell off. I thought I had grabbed all the stitches that had dropped, the count was correct, but I still ended up with a hole. Now I am back on the double points and have decided to ignore the hole and hope that the felting will cover it up. Just when I thought that was the last of my problems I noticed that the WS of my mitten had a long loose stitch. Where did he come from? Another mistake I hope felting will take care of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next