Thursday, December 29, 2005

Misery Loves Company



Misery certainly loves company, at least in the case of my knitting. Well the hat, total bust. I thought I was being so clever trying to make my own pattern and all. Guess I am not that advanced yet. What I did make is a lumpy misshapen hat. While I did succeed in making it very soft, it is also very ugly.

I will also confess that I had to switch to circular needles, which felt like cheating after all my boasting in the last post. However, the circular needles made the hat fly by. So at least I finished the ugly hat. I will probably still wear it, but I think I will have to make a different one before winter is over. Preferably from a pattern this time.

Well the company that I speak of, the misery company, is my hat's companion the short scarf. I actually like the scarf! While it is a little goofy and I did violate a knitting commandment by putting ridiculous buttons on it, I certainly like it. I am sure it will stretch beyond oblivion one day, making the buttons useless, but for now it works. I used the baby alpaca with the scarf as well.

Through this process, I have also realized how different knitters can be from non-knitters. Not only am I talking about the false sense of greatness your non-knitting friends will give you. I am talking about this reaction, "Wow I can't believe you made this". Whether it is a misshapen hat or a pot holder full of holes. To them if you made it, it is amazing. However, these reaction also come with lies. I think it is because they can't figure out how easy it is to just knit, that they will tell you your misshapen hat looks great. Even though it is obvious they would not wear it. I guess unless you knit it is hard to explain how disappointing it is when your projects really flops and well how great it feels when a different project turns out great.

Just a thought!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< *.* >>
RingSurf
Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next